- Readers Rating
- Rated 5 stars
5 / 5 (Reviewers)
- Your Rating
You have probably encountered people before that have claimed that they have never felt the need to read a self-help book or blog and that they never expect to. These people have the belief that there is no one better qualified to solve their problems than they are themselves.
This is true to a certain extent because it is only us that can make the changes that are needed to make our lives better. There is also some truth to the statement that only particular types of people are likely to use self-help books. If you do read self-help books, then you may find this quite condescending, but this is not the case.
There are 16 Myers-Briggs personality types, and the ones that would be described as being more ‘touchy feely’ may tend to reflect on their lives a bit more than the other types. If you read self-help books, then you may fall into some of the touchy-feely categories, but this is not a bad thing.
People may think that they are handling their problems, but in reality, they may just be burying their feelings. If they did take part in some self-reflection, they might be honest with themselves about any changes that they do want to make in their lives. Sometimes it is not easy to think about the things that we would like to change about ourselves, but if we do this, then it makes a real difference in our lives.
In some respects, those people that seem set against self-help books do have a point. There needs to come a time when you stop reading the book or visiting the blog and take some action.
One important thing to look out for when you are reading a book or self-help blog is that the author is going to help you get where you want to go actively. It is not enough to tell you how to work out what changes you need to make; you also need to know how these changes can be done.
There are fifteen main steps that can help you to help yourself and these are listed below.
1. Learning can bring joy. There is nothing wrong with being curious about the world and the people we share it with. If learning about these things makes you happy then this is something to be embraced.
2. Being humble is important. You can try and learn as much as possible, but you need to accept that you are never going to know everything. Remaining humble and being willing to learn from others can also bring happiness.
3. Accepting yourself. The ultimate goal in self-help is learning to love yourself. No matter how far away this seems at the moment, you need to keep this goal in your mind at all times.
4. Resolving conflict. It is only natural that we find resolving conflict troublesome as it this is part of our DNA. However, being able to overcome conflict in relationships is crucial and so is something that you need to try and work on.
5. Making priorities. As much as we would like to have it all, this is not possible. If you prioritize what it is you want to achieve, then this gives you goals to work towards.
6. Achieving real happiness. Possessions do not bring true happiness, and it may take some work before you see that this is true. When people surround you that you love you will see what real happiness is.
7. Making your work meaningful. If you can find a job that you love then going to work will never feel like a chore. It can take much self-reflection to find out what your calling is in life but this is something that is worth doing.
8. Having an easier life. Working to make your life easier will go a large way to making your life easier. This is something that is often talked about in personal development blogs.
9. Becoming free from anxiety. This is something that’s hard for many people as fear is something that we face every day. Learning to live in the moment can help to reduce stress. There is nothing we can do about things that will happen in the future but this does not stop us worrying about it. There is much reading that is available on this subject.
10. Appreciating other people. There is nothing that you can do about how other people behave and act. Family and friends may not always act how we would like them to, but if we learn to appreciate their personality traits, then this can make our relationships much better.
11. Becoming more perceptive. Your reality is based on the way that you perceive things. Viewing things in a different way can bring about real change for you.
12. Creating opportunities. You can wait for opportunities to come your way and take them when they arise. However, you may find that you become more fulfilled if you go out and create these opportunities for yourself.
13. No more struggles. We all struggle with things from time to time, but sometimes we could try going with the flow instead of fighting against things. This can lead to a happier life with less anxiety and stress.
14. How to be attractive. We sometimes hear a lot about the laws of attraction. In my experience, people only really become alluring when they go out and take action. To become enticing yourself, you need to go out and work for the things you want.
15. Creating your own support system. It is nice to have people to talk to, but they may not be available all of the time. You can create your support system by having your favorite self-help books to hand and reading blogs and magazines. This means that you will always have the help that you need when you need it.
15 Superb Reasons How and Why Self Help Really Helps
Summary: You’re right to be a bit skeptical about how self help really works but let me advise you that is does but a greater understanding is needed